I started off with this old sewing machine, below, I won at an auction for only $5.
I knew I could do something with it.
I had already removed the top piece by the hinges when I remembered to snap a "before" pic.
I did plug up that sewing machine, and as old as it is, it still worked perfect.
I tried it out before I did anything and almost kept it because it worked so good.
But I have a few of these and room is running short.
But to make it lighter and easier to move around, I asked my husband to remove it. Which turned out to only be about six screws and two hinges. I kept it though!
I had a new cabinet door put up that I won from a previous auction, for a $1.50, I think.
A door in which I had no idea what to do with yet.
That is, until I got this old sewing machine.
The door is the same on both sides. And I thought that it would make a great top for my sewing machine table. And it did.
Then, as you can see above, the door/table top is a way darker brown than the bottom of the table/old sewing machine.
So, I opened up a can of flat black, oil based paint, from Walmart. And I grabbed an old cloth rag and started smearing it on, little by little.
I didn't want to completely paint it black. Just wanted to make it a streaky, darker color. To better match the top.
I did one coat of streaking. Let that dry. And then I added another slightly streaking coat. Then I was happy with it. And this is how it turned out:
Here's one more look at it
And here's the final look at it
I priced it for $29.99 and it sold the first week that it was in my Booth #555 at the Morehead Peddlers Mall.
I had a total of $6.50 in it plus the painting.
So I think that made for a good enough profit.
Thanks to whoever loved it enough to grab it up so fast!
~Happy Crafting Ya'll!